Blog Post By: Brien Duffy, Food & Beverage Manager
Fall is here, and with it, the familiar chill in the air signaling winter can't be far behind. Chili is one of my favorite ways to warm up from a day of golfing, hunting, color touring or tailgating. After being out enjoying all these great fall activities, what’s better than coming home to warm bowl of chili and your favorite beverage? Here is a simple, easy-to-make crock pot chili; the perfect way to warm up after enjoying our beautiful Michigan fall!
- 1 pound ground beef or venison
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Sauté the ground beef or venison in heavy skillet with the onions until the meat is brown, stirring to break-up the meat as it cooks. Drain well.
- Combine the cooked beef and onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and the drained and rinsed kidney beans in a 4-quart slow cooker and stir.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Turn the heat to high. Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth and add to the chili, stirring well. Uncover the slow cooker and cook for about 15 minutes, until the chili is slightly thickened.
- Serve the chili with lots of accompaniments, including sour cream, chopped green onions, guacamole, sliced jalapenos, and shredded cheese.
Hope you enjoy, but if you don’t feel like cooking, stop in and get some of our wonderful Bucks Run Homemade Chili with fresh cornbread instead! It's a perfect dish for these chilly fall days!
Off-Season Quarry Grill Restaurant Hours
As a reminder, our off-season hours are quickly approaching. Here are some dates to keep in-mind if you're planning a trip to see us at The Quarry Grill soon:
- Beginning the Week of October 14th - Limited Lunch Menu Now Available & Full Dinner Menu Still Available
- Sunday, October 20th - Last Day of Regular Season Weekday Dinner Service & our Limited Lunch Menu is Still Available
- Friday, October 25th - Off-Season Dinner Hours Begin (Open Every Friday & Saturday at 5PM) & Limited Lunch Menu Still Available