Blog Post By: The Bucks Run Culinary Team
At Bucks Run and The Quarry Grill, we have revamped our Wine List to provide you with more global flare. There is nothing better than enjoying a great bottle of wine with your lunch or dinner on a beautiful summer day. Pairing food and wine is something of an art; however, even a novice can follow a few simple guidelines to improve their ability to appropriately pair wine with a meal. Here are a few of our favorite thoughts and tips!
Wine Pairing Tip #1
One guideline to live by in pairing food and wine: Light foods go with light wines. Heavy foods go with heavy wines. Delicate meals, such as whitefish or chicken, need a light wine. Heavier meals, such as as pastas or red meats, need a bigger wine.
Wine Pairing Tip #2
If you have a "go-to" red or white wine, don’t worry about trying to match the food you are eating with that particular wine. What matters most is that you like how your wine tastes. Not every meal requires the perfect match with a wine.
Wine Pairing Tip #3
For "special" bottles of wine (whether it was a gift, an expensive wine, or a highly-rated wine), always plan the meal around the bottle of wine. You'll be much happier with the outcome.
Wine Pairing Tip #4
Don’t worry too much about all the fuss. Just enjoy a beautiful glass of wine.
Food and Wine Pairing Ideas
- Sauvignon Blanc – White or light fish, mild cheese, fruit.
- Chardonnay – Grilled chicken, salmon, shellfish, and grilled fish. Or, anything with a cream sauce.
- Pinot Noir – Light meats, chicken, grilled anything, and salmon.
- Merlot – Pasta, red meat, duck, smoked or grilled foods.
- Zinfandel – Tomato pasta dishes, pizza, pesto, red meats, or chicken with heavy sauces.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Red meats (especially a juicy grilled steak), grilled and smoked foods.
- Dry Rosé – Salads, pasta salads, BBQ chicken or fish, light spicy foods.
At The Quarry Grill, we have an extensive and ever-changing Wine List, so you can always find the right wine to pair with our great meals from our lunch and dinner menus. We hope to see you soon!
-Chef Ben, Chef Mike, Amy, Brien, and the entire Bucks Run Culinary Team!